Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Witty Wednesday # 110 Maxine Cartoons


My friend Daffy has sent me enough cartoons to keep me going for the next few weeks.


I find these John Wagner's Maxine Cartoons, that she sent me, particularly amusing especially as they are based on real people! You've not heard of him read on for some info. I have to be honest, I've seen some of his cards but never thought about the artist.

John Wagner, Hallmark artist since 1970, says Maxine was inspired by his mother, his maiden aunts and his grandmother, the woman who bought him art lessons when 'fill in the pumpkins' was about the extent of his art classes at St. John's Catholic School in Leonia, N.J.
John remembers doodling as a preschooler and says both his grandmother and his mother encouraged his artistic interests. He eventually attended the Vesper George School of Art in Boston and landed at Hallmark as part of a new artists group. But it was the birth of the humorous Shoebox Greetings (a tiny little division of Hallmark) in 1986 that added a new dimension to John's professional life. The Shoebox way of seeing the world unleashed his talents and he created Maxine. Hope you enjoy these





If you've enjoyed these I'll share some more next week.

Archives:
2008: 2nd Crop of home grown spuds
2007: Everything happens in threes

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 26/8/09 08:47, Blogger Steffi said...

Very funny!I like the first picture....

 
At 26/8/09 11:54, Blogger cynicalgirl said...

I love Maxine.

 
At 26/8/09 13:59, Anonymous margaret said...

HAHAHA! J'Adore Maxine, she is the old lady I hope to be someday ;-) Thanks for visiting my Fun Monday! I'm still (!) trying to get around to see everyone. Glad you liked my doodlings; I sure had fun making them!

 
At 26/8/09 18:12, Blogger Amrita said...

Great laughs those are

 
At 26/8/09 19:26, Blogger AfKaP said...

These were cute, Chris! Nothing like a(nother) bitchy old lady to make me feel good!

 
At 26/8/09 20:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See I don't just send rude ones! ;o)

 
At 27/8/09 05:20, Anonymous Kila said...

Good for laughs

 
At 27/8/09 16:21, Anonymous nikki said...

Hehehehehehee, love the first cartoon!

 
At 27/8/09 17:53, Anonymous Grannymar said...

My late mother would have loved that first cartoon, I can almost hear her laughing!

 
At 30/8/09 11:08, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

oh I am SOOOOOOO pinching the first cartoon..... it sooooooo relates to me LMFAO

x

 
At 31/8/09 22:54, Anonymous storyteller at Small Reflections said...

I always find Maxine amusing, but that first cartoon has me ROFLing for sure!
Hugs and blessings,

 
At 6/2/10 22:54, Blogger Kranky Granny said...

Mary over at the blog "Work of the Poet" has a new meme devoted to Maxine. It is a Saturday meme and perhaps you would like to join the fun.

Visit www.workofthepoet.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home