Monday, November 16, 2009

Fun Monday # 143 My Oldest possession


This week Ari is hosting and she asks this question:

What is the oldest possession in your house or flat? Describe it or show us a picture. Where did it come from? Why do you hang on to it?

I thought this one was going to be easy but actually it wasn't because although I have a few things that could be classed as antique, (including Embee LOL), I don't have dates for all these items.

So I'm just going to show you a couple of things:

I know I've mentioed in a previous FM post that we live in a Victorian house that was built in 1851 and we found this hay basket in the cellars. It was probably for the horses that used to live in the stable attached to the rear of the house.

Below is a half sovereign dated 1898 it belonged to my father and was given to me on my 21st birthday.

Below is one of a pair of Victorian ornaments. Sadly the other one fell from a shelf and got damaged and I've never had it repaired (actually not sure it can be repaired) and of course the value would have been in the pair). Originally these belonged to my grandmother and I don't know the date.

The Bristol Blue bowl belonged to EmBee's mother and he understands it to be from 1875.


The collection below is of two ginger jars (Crown Derby) and one of two large ornamental jugs; I have no idea of the dates but I guess 1800's

I really don't know if these are the oldest items I have but I think you've probably seen enough. The reason I keep them is because they belonged to family members who loved them as much as I do.

Sorry I'm a bit late getting this post published. Looking forward to seeing your treasures.

Archives:
2008: Holiday Reunion
2007: Secret Ornament Exchange
2006: Coffee with Clare

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 16/11/09 23:09, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

Ooh, I love that blue bowl. What lovely things you and Embee have.

 
At 16/11/09 23:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool stuff!

 
At 16/11/09 23:58, Blogger wendishness said...

Better late than never, wow you've got a nice collection of things. I didn't realise your house was so old, actually it's not that old in UK history is it?

Are you a fan of the Antiques shows over there?

 
At 17/11/09 01:17, Blogger Jill said...

fun. hay basket. very neat.

 
At 17/11/09 01:55, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

1851 is a pretty good age for a house!

some of your things are simply gorgeous - thanks for sharing :)

The oldest thing I have here is the family heirloom Bible, with the handwritten frontspiece dated 1832!

 
At 17/11/09 02:14, Blogger Sayre said...

The blue bowl looks so modern! Everything old IS new again.

Those are some lovely things. Real treasures.

 
At 17/11/09 02:32, Anonymous Janis said...

Those are some beautiful treasures. Its so nice to have some keepsakes to pass on to the next generation.

 
At 17/11/09 06:01, Blogger Pamela said...

I'm so loving this stuff.

(I actually may have an arrowhead somewhere in our collections of things that who knows how old it might be.)

When I was a kid we had an old coal iron. I don't know which of my siblings nabbed it when mom died.

 
At 17/11/09 06:20, Blogger Sam said...

somewhat fond of those ginger jars, I am not sure why? They look nice to my eye.

 
At 17/11/09 23:04, Blogger ChrisB said...

Ari thank you

Wendy- I love the Antiques Roadshow.

Mal your family bible sounds very interesting. You should blog about it.

Pamela I have an old brass toasting fork which was a must when I was growing up (although ours was iron-the one I have now belonged to my gran). Toast cooked on an open fire is the best!

Sam they have different pictures on each one. I wouldn't have thought they were your cup of tea; but glad you like them.

 
At 18/11/09 05:14, Blogger Faye said...

What a unique sampling of old treasures you have, Chris. Will your children want these items or are their tastes more modern? Can you tell us any more about the ornament--the remaining from the pair?

 
At 21/11/09 11:11, Blogger Barbara said...

I covet the blue bowl Chris. Pure gorgeousness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home