Thursday, February 04, 2010

Barbara's Oat Biscuits (Cookies)

Last month my friend Barbara, winosandfoodies who is a brilliant cook and just happens to have been featured as 'Cook of the Week' in the Courier Mail, Taste magazine section,
mentioned a recipe for Oat (Cookies) Biscuits and how easy they are to make. I'm always looking for easy recipes so I decided to give them a try. My first mistake was not taking another look at Barbara's picture of the biscuits to remind myself not to over cook them. Also I think I might have been a little generous with the golden syrup as it was the end of a tin!!!

However, even overcooked they make a delicious crispy snack with a cup of coffee!!

I should mention they are not for those on diets, except maybe for the oats!!

OAT COOKIES (BISCUITS)

150 grams sugar

2 tablespoons golden syrup

150 grams butter

2 tablespoons milk

150 grams porridge oats

150 grams self raising flour

METHOD:

Heat oven to 180C

In a saucepan - melt sugar, syrup, butter and milk over a low heat until dissolved.

Add oats and flour, stirring well.

Place teaspoons of mix onto baking paper lined tray.

Bake 10 - 15 minutes.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from tray.

So Barbara, sorry not to have done your biscuits justice, I will make them again and hope to get it right next time. You can see why I would never, ever, be featured in a food magazine. I might, just, get a mention in something like this though !!!!


Archives:
2009: Witty Wednesday-83
2008: Fun Monday-52 What's in my Bucket!
2007: Despondent

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At 4/2/10 21:02, Blogger karisma said...

Just add some coconut and you have Anzac biscuits there! Very popular in our house and yes very easy to make. Now Im hungry! LOL

 
At 5/2/10 01:18, Blogger Barbara said...

Actually Chris they look nice and crisp. They have spread more than mine, probably due to more golden syrup. I measure mine quite carefully as too much makes my teeth hurt.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm sure you are a great cook. We all have disasters somedays. I have my share of disasters;)

 
At 5/2/10 03:14, Blogger Living Life said...

I love a good oatmeal cookie. I made some over Christmas and they turned out too soft. They did not even hold together! I think I prefer a crispy cookie.

p.s. If you have some time, join us for Fun Monday. I'm hosting.

 
At 5/2/10 08:43, Blogger Beccy said...

They look delicious, Dillon would love them so I must have a go at that recipe.

 
At 5/2/10 14:46, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm tempted to try.

 
At 6/2/10 03:59, Anonymous Kila said...

Thanks for the idea. My friend/housemate loves oatmeal. It's interesting how your recipes measure things in grams--different from here!

 
At 6/2/10 06:12, Blogger Pamela said...

we make Beccy's recipe for "flapjacks" every time we are able to get our hands on a jar of golden syrup.

I love oatmeal cookies with raisins. (aka oat biscuits)
Wr likes them made with butterscotch bits -- and then we call them oatmeal scotchies.

 
At 7/2/10 01:58, Blogger the mother of this lot said...

Well,they look ok to me!

 
At 7/2/10 15:20, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

goodness, they look good..... we overcooked our last batch of biscuits.... not even me chickens would eat them LOL

we used them to pave the back garden pathway LOL

x

 
At 8/2/10 15:55, Blogger Amrita said...

Looks like a great recipe. Want to try it. The tips from Maxine are knee slapping

 
At 10/2/10 13:30, Blogger ChrisB said...

Marmie I give all my food scraps to my friend for her chooks, apparently they've never refused anything yet LOL.

Karisma so that's how you make Anzac biscuits! I've often seen them in the shops but homemade would be better.

Barbara I think I have more disasters than not LOL

AC give them a go just right for a Cuppa tea!

Kila this recipe was taken from My Aussie friend. We have gone metric but I still like my lbs and oz

Pamela I like the sound of the butterscotch cookies.

Amrits they are tasty!

 
At 12/2/10 20:30, Anonymous Karmyn R said...

Yum! Another recipe for me to use my Golden Syrup!!! (besides drizzling a little on vanilla ice cream....yum yum yum)


(and my Word Verification has got to be wrong: sucks

 
At 13/2/10 13:46, Blogger Jill said...

I'm hosting fun monday the next 2 weeks. feel free to play along! thanks!

 
At 23/2/10 18:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look better than anything I could attempt! They do look good to be fair! I'm sure you will get them perfect!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home