Friday, June 20, 2014

Look whose nesting in my loganberries!!!!




We have been watching a pair of Blackbirds who are always in out of the garden. They do like to steal the apple I put out for my tortoises and the berries from out fruit bushes. Often when we are out there they will sit on the wall or the fence and screech at us and they will often nip in and out of the loganberries. This afternoon I was picking some berries and the male flew right by me and into the leaves. It went very quiet, so tentatively, I moved the leaves to discover that he was sitting on a nest! This had to be camera time and although he gave me the evil eye he did not leave his task. I went back about an hour later and he had shifted his position so I left him in peace. Fast forward a few hours and I saw him flying off so I guessed the female had taken over and went to investigate and there she was sitting on the nest. I am assuming there are eggs and am hoping they will hatch; it would be fun to see babies. If you could see my garden and where they have nested it is not ideal so not sure how things will proceed. I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope!!






Male Blackbird on egg duty!!




He's got his beady eye on me!!



Female on evening duty!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 20/6/14 20:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos, Chris!! I bet that's their second brood. The female builds a new nest every time.

 
At 20/6/14 20:28, Blogger Pamela said...

you know I'm all over this!

 
At 20/6/14 21:04, Blogger ChrisB said...

John I'm so stupid I could actually have got a pic of baby but didn't take my camera with me just after I posted this!!!

Pamela I thought you would like it :)

 
At 20/6/14 22:07, Blogger Unknown said...

I love them! How lucky to watch them. :)

 
At 22/6/14 00:33, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We had a grackle nest in a fir tree across the street. The people had a cat. The continuous squawking and scolding just about drove me crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home